Building Interactive Mobile Dashboards for the Salesforce Platform

In my previous post, I shared a sample application showing how to build highly interactive mobile dashboards using Web standards, D3 and other data visualization libraries.

In this post, I’ll share a similar application showing how to build interactive dashboards for the Salesforce platform using the Force.com APIs and the same charting libraries.

There are already many data visualization options either built into Salesforce or available on AppExchange. This sample application is just an exploration of the possibilities when adding interactivity and allowing the user to visually navigate through data using touch-based interactions (or mouse interactions when running on a traditional computer).

The Sample Application

Using the Force.com APIs, you can build interactive dashboards against any type of data in Salesforce. In this sample application, I chose to build some simple Sales dashboards around “opportunities”.

Watch a video:

Try it in your Browser

Click here to try the application in your browser.

This version of the application uses a static JSON file to make it easy to experience the application without a Salesforce account. The source code for the full version with the actual Salesforce integration is available below.

Data Visualization Libraries

Like I mentioned in my previous post, you can use a number of free (Flot, Flotr2, jqPlot, etc.) and commercial (amCharts, Highcharts, FusionCharts, ChartJS, etc.) data visualization libraries to build interactive dashboards. In the last couple of years, d3.js (D3) has emerged as a de-facto standard for data visualization. The D3 APIs are generally “lower level” compared to other libraries, but there are also libraries built on top of D3 (dimple, NVD3, xCharts, Rickshaw, …) if you are looking for higher level APIs. I used dimple for some of the charts in my D3 implementation.

I tried different libraries as part of my experiments, and I’ll share two implementations below: D3 and ChartJS. Again, this doesn’t mean that other options are not as good: I just didn’t have time to fully implement the dashboards with every single library.

Data Access Strategies

There are different options to retrieve data in your dashboards. You can use the traditional REST API, or the Analytics API (also implemented as a REST API).

Using the traditional REST API, your client application gets its data straight from standard or custom objects. Your are responsible for programmatically implementing the data selection logic in your application (using SOQL queries).

Using the Analytics API, you implement the data selection logic by building one or several Salesforce reports (Using the point-and-click report builder). In your application, you use the Analytics API to run these prebuilt reports and you get the data in JSON format. The analytics API offers additional features such as getting a list of reports, getting the metadata for a report, as well as the option to run reports synchronously or asynchronously.

In this simple example, I used the REST API to get a list of opportunities straight from the Opportunity object using SOQL. I plan to provide a similar example using the Analytics API in a future post.

Client-Side vs Server-Side Data Transformation

Different charts require the data to be filtered, grouped, and aggregated in different ways. So, another consideration is whether you process the data at the client side (in JavaScript) or at the server-side (using a series of custom SOQL queries or reports).

In the first option, you get a large data set from the server (for example, all the open opportunities), and the client application filters, groups, and aggregates the data as needed based on specific charts requirements as the user interacts with the dashboard. Limiting the number of network requests, and transforming the data at the client-side will generally deliver a more responsive user experience, but may become an issue if you are dealing with large data sets.

In the second option, the client application makes network requests to get the charts data filtered and aggregated based on specific charts requirements as the user interacts with the dashboard. Filtering, grouping, and aggregating the data at the server-side is a more predictable model, but the network latency involved in each request can make the dashboards feel less responsive.

Again, the right solution will depend on your specific situation and requirements, and a combination of these two options is usually a good approach. In this sample application with a small data set, I chose to make a single network request to retrieve the list of opportunities, and then transform the data at the client side.

Deployment Options

In this post, I share the application as a custom mobile app running outside the Salesforce container (browser or Salesforce1 app). But the exact same application could be deployed as a Visualforce page and delivered within the Salesforce container, in the browser or within the Salesforce1 application. I plan on covering these different deployment options in a future post.

The source code for the ChartJS implementation is available in this GitHub repository.

The source code for the D3 implementation is available in this GitHub repository.

Running the Application on your Device

Follow the steps below to run the sample application (as a hybrid/Cordova app) in the iOS emulator or on an iOS device. Instructions to create a project using the Mobile SDK for Android are available here.

You’ll need a salesforce.com account to run this application. If you don’t already have one, you can sign up for a free developer environment here.
  1. Make sure Node.js is installed on your system. If it’s not, you can install it from here.
  2. Install the Force.com Mobile SDK for the platform of your choice (Android instructions are available here):
    sudo npm install -g forceios

3. Create a new application
    forceios create

Answer the prompts as follows (adjust the company id and organization name as needed):

Enter your application type (native, hybrid_remote, or hybrid_local): hybrid_local
    Enter your application name: force-dashboard
    Enter the output directory for your app (defaults to the current directory):
    Enter your company identifier (com.mycompany): org.coenraets
    Enter your organization name (Acme, Inc.): Coenraets, Inc.
    Enter your Connected App ID (defaults to the sample app’s ID):
    Enter your Connected App Callback URI (defaults to the sample app’s URI):

· You can also provide these values as command line parameters when invoking forceios create. Type forceios on the command line and press return for a list of options.
    · For a real life application, provide a specific Connected App ID and Callback URI. Instructions for creating a connected app are available here or here.
  4. Delete the force-dashboard/www folder in the generated project folder.
  5. Click here to download the source code for the ChartJS implementation or here for the D3 implementation, then unzip the file anywhere on your file system.
  6. Copy the force-dashboard-chartjs/www or force-dashboard-d3/www folder from the unzipped file to the force-dashboard folder in your project folder.
  7. Open force-dashboard.xcodeproj in Xcode and run the application in the emulator, or on your device.
    To run the application on your device, you need an Apple developer certificate and an application provisioning profile.

Summary

I’m excited about the new possibilities around data visualization using web standards, and with the Force.com APIs, we have plenty of data to play around with and try new things. I’d love to hear and see what you are doing.

photo (3)

photo (4)

photo (1)

17 Responses to Building Interactive Mobile Dashboards for the Salesforce Platform

1. Tiendq February 24, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

You used ChartJS for demo link, didn’t you? Is D3 version as cool as it e.g. nice animation?

• Christophe Coenraets February 25, 2014 at 9:24 am #

Yes the link above is the ChartJS version. The D3 version is visually identical, with the difference that I didn’t implement the animations yet. D3 is certainly capable of doing that (and a lot more), but as I mentioned in the post the APIs are a little lower level: you’d basically apply a transition to the shapes making up the chart. Here is a good explanation of how this works: http://blog.visual.ly/creating-animations-and-transitions-with-d3-js/. Some libraries built on top of D3 have animations built-in. For example, the D3 version of the olympic dashboard in my previous post uses xCharts which does have animations built-in: http://coenraets.org/apps/olympic-d3/.

• Tiendq February 27, 2014 at 4:46 am #

Thanks, great chart tutorials :)

• Sam MSP March 16, 2014 at 11:27 am #

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Since i am in could computing and salesforce learning and training program, it helps me to enhance my knowledge in the same field.

2. Rick February 28, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

Wow. This is awesome. Since I am not a programmer or developer in SFDC, can you provide some step-by-step instructions on how to create some of these interactive charts in SFDC? I do not know APEX or VisualForce but do I need to create a VF page? Thanks

• Christophe Coenraets February 28, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

Rick, This specific version of the application is a traditional Hybrid app written in JavaScript running on the device. It gets its data from your Salesforce environment using the Force.com RESTful APIs. There is no VF page involved. It’s just a traditional JavaScript app accessing data through REST services. I have a similar version of the app here: http://coenraets.org/blog/2014/02/building-interactive-dashboards-in-visualforce-pages/. That one is hosted in a VF page.

3. Natesh March 3, 2014 at 8:17 am #

This is really awesome. I tried implementing this feature but I am getting “Uncaught ReferenceError: app is not defined”. How to get rid of this?. Also please let me know what to do if we get cross domain issue (No ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ header is present on the requested resource).

4. Arup Sarkar March 3, 2014 at 11:19 pm #

I followed the instruction, however I am getting just the menu Force.com Dashboard and no charts in the emulator, I do not know where I am going wrong. Can you please direct me to debug.

Regards,

5. Organisational Change May 25, 2014 at 10:10 pm #

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads uup annd
    llet you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading correctly.
    I’m not sure wwhy but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried itt in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.

6. CloudCloud Crm Comapny In Chennai June 6, 2014 at 3:10 am #

Amazing, fantastic website construction! The way lengthy have you ever been blogs regarding? you create blogging glimpse easy. The overall look of this web-site is astounding, not to the material!

7. Tamara Torner June 21, 2014 at 12:49 am #

Hello, There’s no doubt that your web site may be having web browser compatibility issues. When I look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however when opening in IE, it’s got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Besides that, wonderful website!

8. tekochee July 3, 2014 at 3:53 am #

I cannot keep your web site before recommending i always actually relished the typical facts somebody source on your friends? Is usually usually again usually in order to take a look at cross-check new blogposts

9. Bilal Öztürk July 13, 2014 at 8:58 am #

Pastacı Kızlar uygulamasında kahramanımız mükemmel derecede skor kazanmak zorunda. Birden fazla bireyi barındıran bu oyunumuzda karakterimizle beraber oldukça hızlı bir şekilde talimatları yerine getireceksiniz. Yerine getireceğiniz bu talimatlardan sonra sıralamada yer alma hakkı elde edebilecek bu sayede arkadaşlarınızı da geride bırakabileceksiniz. Oyunumuzda karakterimizle beraber en başta mükemmel derece skor kazanmaya çalışacaksınız. Bu kazanımları sağladıktan sonra parkurlarda kazanılacak olan skorlar da oldukça artacaktır. Bu uygulamada sizlere iyi şanslar ve bol eğlenceler dileriz arkadaşlar. Çocukların kahramanlarından Pepee karakterinin en güzel eserleri sadece http://pepe-oyunlari.com/ bu adreste yer almaktadır.

1. Building Interactive Dashboards in Visualforce Pages | Christophe Coenraets - February 26, 2014

[…] my previous post, I shared a sample application showing how to build interactive Mobile Dashboards for the […]

2. Interactive Mobile Dashboards in the Salesforce1 App | Christophe Coenraets - March 10, 2014

[…] the first article, I showed how to deploy the dashboards in a hybrid app using Cordova and the Mobile […]

3. Building Interactive Dashboards in Visualforce Pages | Christophe Coenraets | - July 15, 2014

4. Google Polymer with Salesforce : Develop Fascinating Chart Components for Force.com Platform - October 10, 2014

[…] Coenretes (Developer Evangelist at Salesforce) has written posts about charting libraries here and here covering wide variety of charting libraries ranging from free (Flot, Flotr2, jqPlot, etc.) and […]