A couple of weeks ago, I delivered a full day PhoneGap workshop at QCon San Francisco. The workshop went very well, and I thought the materials could be useful to a larger audience. So I turned the workshop instructions into more detailed tutorial instructions. This is a lot more than the usual Getting Started tutorial: In addition to introducing you to key PhoneGap APIs such as LocalStorage, Database, Notification, Geolocation, Contacts, and Camera, the tutorial focuses on how to architect a real-life PhoneGap application using a Single Page Architecture and HTML templates. Topics include:
- How to use different local data storage strategies.
- How to use several PhoneGap APIs such as Geolocation, Contacts, and Camera.
- How to handle specific mobile problems such as touch events, scrolling, styling, page transitions, etc.
- How to build an application using a single page architecture and HTML templates.
- How to build (compile and package) an application for 6 platforms using PhoneGap Build.
To complete this tutorial, all you need is a code editor, a modern browser, and a connection to the Internet.
The tutorial is available here.