Using jQuery in a Flex Application

This is a follow up to my previous post on how to invoke a JavaScript function in an HTML document hosted in a Flex application (using the StageWebView).

The Flex application of course doesn’t care about — and is not aware of — the way your JavaScript is written and which libraries you use. However, I’m currently working on a hybrid mobile application where the HTML hosted in the StageWebView is powered by jQuery, and I find the combination of the two technologies powerful. So I figured I’d share a simple example here.

This is the same example as the one in my previous post with the exception that the HTML part is powered by jQuery.

You can download the Flex project here: http://coenraets.org/webview/StageWebViewJQueryDemo.fxp

The HTML and JavaScript files are here:

22 Responses to Using jQuery in a Flex Application

1. Ederson Schmidt July 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

It’s Amazing!

Nice example.. thanks Coenraets!

• couple shirts February 1, 2012 at 3:13 am #

Recognize that certainly nothing can make you seriously feel that way without having your consent. It is nonetheless common for persons to send below the belt words and yet so long as you are up against them at first, they don’t really do the same. There may be really a need to stay by how you feel even it is being confronted by a number of rivalry.

2. amlan July 29, 2011 at 3:50 am #

Thanks for the great example but can you show a demo of how to do the same thing with a local javascript file (in the assets folder of the project).

Thanks in advance

3. Ederson Schmidt July 30, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Hi amlan,

You could try open local html with this code:

protected var fUrl:String = new File(new File("app:/assets/html/index.html").nativePath).url;

webView.loadURL(fUrl);

I tried here and it’s also worked with jquery.

Best regards..

4. Barclay Layman August 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm #

Here’s a real world example.

5. Arthur August 4, 2011 at 8:05 am #

Does Flex 4.5 support printing on all the mobile platform? e.g. iOS?

6. Arthur August 4, 2011 at 8:10 am #

Also I want to know that is it possible to, e.g. add iAd to the app created by Flex?

7. soul August 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

I agree with ur statements here but something bothers me about stagewebview, its an iframe and causes the dreaded flash of unstyled content, in other words the screen flashes white on every re orientation and page load, I would really appreciate some guidence from u regarding this phenomena.

8. Colleges Sydney August 5, 2011 at 12:15 am #

VM’s are cool, but they’re a terribly inefficient solution for browser testing. A completely new OS install to configure and keep patched, just to test the site on two versions of the same browser?

9. ACPE August 5, 2011 at 2:10 am #

No matter what you’ll order – light animation, goods calculator or a serious and powerful corporate application – you’ll get elegant, interactive, cross-platform solutions whose functionality and possibilities will be as good as desktop applications. Flex technology best suits for this purpose specially if you use jquery for its tandem.

Bachelor of Sports Business

10. soul August 5, 2011 at 5:44 am #

Hunny u got voicemail now come and talk pls otherwise it looks like shameless seo.

11. soul August 5, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

Since running ur examples my applications always run in debug mode. Thanks cant fix it.

12. soul August 5, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Overlaying the sdk seemed to fix it…!!!!

13. soul August 6, 2011 at 11:43 am #

opps…so sorry it was someone elses…apologies

14. Avors August 10, 2011 at 12:52 am #

Hi

Thanks for your post. I am using StageWebView to show PDF file on my mobile application(using Flex 4.5 for IOS app development). So far I have managed to show the PDF file and easily dispose SWV when user click on a close button (same as back button in your example).
    Issue: I’m trying to provide a list view for the PDF file and also enable users to boomark a page on the PDF document.
    Is there any way to do these kind of things in Flex?
    I have another question which could be used as an alternative to the first issue:
    when We open a PDF file in safari, an action bar appears on top of the document that shows the document name and a “Open in iBook” button. is any way to show this action bar on StageWebView in the Flex app?
    I’m developing this app for iPad.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

15. Bos August 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Hi Chris, I’m really impressed with your assist on this tanceopic. I will kindly need your assistance. I’m a creative designer and I’m working on a small idea relating to this topic.

I’ve several web pages & a pdf document with 10 pages locally hosted(on my computer) that I want to display within a flex mobile application I am working on. My intention is to use a next and previous page button/or a swipe gesture in the flex application to browse/navigate each pages of the pdf/web pages. Please kindly assist I’m new to flex mobile and actionscript; but willing to learn. Please help.

16. Abogados de accident August 19, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Excellent project, a new application carefully, and will continue to report.

17. Saidi Reddy September 28, 2011 at 6:01 am #

Hi Sir, i have one query could u please help me , Panel control not supported in Flex Mobile Project in Flash builder 4.5. There is any alternate control to add some data dynamically (using Actin Script). please help me thanks in advance …

18. مفكرة العرب October 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

Thanks, this blog is very good!!

19. cook for a living February 21, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

Conceive that definitely nothing can make you really feel that way while not having your consent. It is but usual for individuals to make below the belt words yet , so long as you face them in advance, they don’t go about doing the same. There is really a need to stay by how you feel even it really is being faced with a number of counteraction.

20. Model Railway Trains July 24, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

1. Using jQuery in a Flex Application | TechnoVeille - September 3, 2012

[…] original : ici ‹ Setting Up WordPress on Amazon EC2 in 5 minutes Tagués avec : Air, […]