Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve visited many enterprise customers to spread the exciting news and discuss their mobile strategy. I found it interesting that most of them were focusing primarily on tablets (instead of phones), and that the application they were focusing on was almost always a dashboard or at least involved a lot of charting components. It is true that tablets such as the iPad, the Xoom, and the BlackBerry PlayBook are amazing devices for data visualization.

Multi-touch is revolutionizing the way we interact with applications. The idea of user interfaces behaving like real life objects has been kicked around for a long time, and touch screens remove an important barrier. In the area of data visualization, multi-touch can have a particularly transformative effect: there are definitely a lot of opportunities for more “natural” data manipulation and exploration.

So, as an exercise, I built an interactive sales dashboard using Flex to explore the possibilities.

Check out the video (running on an iPad). Of course, the same application can run on Android, on the BlackBerry PlayBook, and in the browser or as a desktop application on traditional computers.

This is just a small example of thinking about data visualization differently. Charts don’t have to be read-only: If the data isn’t right, change it right there (“in place editing”).

I’m looking forward to seeing what people will come up with in this exciting field.

Disclaimer: I’m not a designer. This is still mostly developer artwork. The goal of this demo is to experiment with new ways to visualize and modify data, and not to recommend this specific implementation.

12 Responses to Flex-Powered Multi-Touch Data Visualization on the iPad, Android, and the BlackBerry PlayBook

1. Shailesh April 15, 2011 at 10:44 am #

Amazing! Did you use mx charts or wrote this on your own? I have been playing with mx charts on mobile and performance seems a bit slow. Would love to see high performing real time charts with drill capability on mobile.

2. Gilbert April 15, 2011 at 11:08 am #

Nice one. Do you plan to share the source code?

3. Francisc April 15, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

Very nice and smooth.
    I very much like the charting component. I don’t suppose it’s an `out-of-the-box` component.
    How’d you do it? :)

4. Jeremy Chone April 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

Great Demo. I 100% agree with you say “Multi-touch is revolutionizing the way we interact with applications.”

Interestingly, I think that many of this interaction could have been down in the traditional PC/Mouse/Keyboard era, but the touch-interfaces is making them more obvious to imagine. So, I think that this demo could also be optimized for mouse-driven devices (i.e. PC)

5. vniu April 28, 2011 at 2:11 am #

very good ,Do you plan to share the source code?thanks

6. Israel Gaytán May 25, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

Nice demo!!! Again Christophe…do you gonna share the code???

Very nice example. By the way are you using the traditional charting components? Thanks!!

7. Adam June 28, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

Could you please share the source code for smoothly zooming the graph?

8. Lily August 9, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

It looks great!!! Would you like to share to us… I want to try on my new BlackBerry PlayBook! Thank you!

9. lbstr June 2, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Hello,

Need a help with charts in mobile, where can we access the source codes of this demo?

Thanks in advance..

1. Convincing developers that Adobe Flex rocks on Android, iOS, and PlayBook | Gregs Ramblings - April 26, 2011

[…] http://coenraets.org/blog/2011/04/flex-powered-multi-touch-data-visualization-on-the-ipad-android-an… […]

2. Confluence: Stormcloud - September 8, 2011

Web GUI Technology Reseach…

Objective The objective of this research task is to evaluate and select the user interface development language/platform/framework for the Stormcloud project…….

3. iPad上的Flex图表软件 - iOS - 开发者问答 - May 9, 2013

[…] http://www.youtube.com/embed/paTRLcmErNY?rel=0 (视频地址,大家都懂。。。) 想了解更多关于Flex里的数据可视化应用,可以看看Mobile Trader以及Sales Pipeline。 […]