Flex Charts on the iPad

I continue to see a lot of interest for dashboards applications on mobile devices (particularly on tablets), and I think that interactive data visualization applications are really a sweet spot for Flex. As an example, I built a simple dashboard aggregator using the out-of-the box charting components available in Flex. The same application can run on iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch), Android devices, and on the BlackBerry PlayBook. If you are an existing Flex developer, this will look very familiar: these are the same charts you also run in the browser or on the desktop on traditional computers. Check out the video:

For more data-visualization applications built with Flex, check out the Mobile Trader and the Sales Pipeline applications.

Usual disclaimer: I’m not a designer, so this is mostly developer artwork. You can of course polish, customize and style the out-of-the-box-experience.

28 Responses to Flex Charts on the iPad

1. Luciano April 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

Looks good!
    I’ve found that 4 column charts (2 series) with 400 items/each crash my app ’cause reach 25Mb of memory (iPad 1).
    Could you provide some information about memory consumption or some stress test with datavisualizacion?

2. amer April 20, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Hi
    can we invoke iphone dilaer snd email app using air 2.6

3. Christophe Coenraets April 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

@amer: Yes cou can. Simply use navigateToURL:
    navigateToURL(new URLRequest(‘mailto:john@smith.com’));
    navigateToURL(new URLRequest(‘http://www.coenraets.org’));
    navigateToURL(new URLRequest(‘http://maps.google.com/’));
    navigateToURL(new URLRequest(‘tel:1234567890′));
    navigateToURL(new URLRequest(‘sms:1234567890′));

4. Christophe Coenraets April 20, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

@Luciano: Can you isolate your example in a self-contained test case? I’m happy to take a look: ccoenrae adobe com

5. netrickster April 20, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

This is spectacular. Do you have example code from the project that you could provide?

6. flashvnn April 22, 2011 at 12:49 am #

navigateToURL(new URLRequest(‘sms:1234567890′));

Can i invoke sms with body text ?

7. aspekt-more April 23, 2011 at 4:00 am #

I was wondering if someone could tell me the state of adobe air usage? Is it widely enough used to pick up while I am learning Flash and Javascript/jQuery? While I do know the differences in final production goals are different I’ve been very excited by what I’ve seen in the past, but it does seem that its not as widely used or referred to anymore?
    Is this just me? or is air a regularly used production tool for mobile devices?

8. aspekt-more April 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

clearly i have committed a blogging fauxpas, and i do apologize. i have tried searching google, this is one place where current active discussion was going on that wasnt directly sponsored by Adobe. thus i thought it a goood place to start.
    would someone be willing to forgive my previous question and suggest a forum or blog with a nonbiased discussion of the current state of Air?
    thank you.

9. Rob April 28, 2011 at 6:26 am #

Very interesting to see this become usable. But is there also a good way to include maps into the dashboard? I have not found anything yet that works well enough with Flex Mobile. Please let me know if someone has any suggestions or experience in this area.

10. Christophe April 28, 2011 at 6:48 am #

@Rob: I’m currently building an app with ESRI (http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisserver/apis/flex/help/index.html) and it works very well. Will post a sample soon.
    Christophe

11. aspekt-more April 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

any chance you could please delete my comments, please?

12. Eduardo May 3, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

aspekt-more,

I have no connection to Adobe (other than using their Flash Builder product). I can tell you that Air is a very solid platform and it is used in production environments by many companies of different sizes. It is definitively worth learning.
    I think you will start hearing a lot more about it from June onwards, when the product will make it possible to release the same app to Android, iOS, and Playbook, with virtually no changes to your code.

13. aspekt-more May 10, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

@Eduardo
    Thank you so much for the response. I was beginning to feel as if I had stepped into the middle of a private conversation. And, as well, clearly the wrong conversation to ask the questions I had.

I have started various tutorials on Flash and will try to ensure that I find the right resources to get a proper introduction to Air. Especially, if the announcement in June is coming. It is one of the many questions I had concerning cross compatibility and its one of the things that peaked my interest in Air. Java, while certainly a different beast altogether, always seemed sluggish to me when used to create cross platform apps. Whereas my experience picking apart, and using some Air desktop apps gave me a completely different experience.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

14. Penut June 3, 2011 at 12:52 am #

are you just building these as default flex applications, running through air, and then dropping them on the ipad? or are you specifically targeting the Ipad somehow?

15. Sandeep June 29, 2011 at 1:49 pm #

Chris, Do you intend to share the code for this demo app…

16. Maxx August 18, 2011 at 7:55 am #

Nice demo. Is sample code of the demo available? If you make it available it helps others a lot.

17. ciccia September 23, 2011 at 4:36 am #

It is good to see some detailed information on this topic which is very rarely discussed on the internet. Thanks for this pretty useful share. annunci casa. thanks.

18. مفكرة العرب October 3, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Thanks, this blog is very good!!

19. Jim Redfield December 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

Hello everybody,i’am new i just whant to sai hello to the blog. Hope I will enjoy here a lot…

20. Thurman Clemenza December 4, 2011 at 8:20 am #

Great writter, Thanks for delivering the prestigious post. I found it useful. Kind regards !!

21. Frank Py December 23, 2011 at 11:54 am #

This is so cool! How do we get code examples of this? Please help.

Frank

22. Susrut Mishra February 5, 2012 at 6:40 am #

Awesome – Future beyond Desktop and Web Applications. Great to see Flex Charts on an iPad

23. Stewart Spence October 30, 2013 at 9:51 am #

Christophe, I am amazed at what you have done with charts. I am new to the Flex mobile stuff. I would like to use charts with real time student data and was wondering if you would share some example code with me. The apps I create are for the school board and are not sold. We have a corporate development license with Apple and I am using Flash Builder 4.5 for my development. Thank you for your consideration.

Stewart

1. Scrollable and Touch-Friendly Flex Charts (Adobe Flash Platform Blog) - April 24, 2011

[...] I posted Flex Charts on the iPad, a few people asked me how to enable some specific gestures on these charts to make them small [...]

2. Convincing developers that Adobe Flex rocks on Android, iOS, and PlayBook | Gregs Ramblings - April 26, 2011

[...] http://coenraets.org/blog/2011/04/flex-charts-on-the-ipad/ [...]

3. Convincing developers that Adobe Flex rocks on Android, iOS, and PlayBook (Adobe Flash Platform Blog) - April 26, 2011

[...] http://coenraets.org/blog/2011/04/flex-charts-on-the-ipad/ [...]

4. theFlashBlog » Success Bringing Flash Games to iOS - May 26, 2011

[...] AIR SDK brings with it greatly improved performance. Even Flex mobile runs great as been shown in numerous [...]

5. Success Bringing Flash Games to iOS (Adobe Flash Platform Blog) - May 28, 2011